Pastor Jay has completed preaching through the book of Ephesians. You may listen or subscribe to these past messages below:
Continuing our series through Ephesians, [July 1, 2012] we heard an overview of Ephesians chapter one. “Ephesians 1 – An Overview“.
- 6 blessing we have in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph. 1:4-14)
- Given revelation
- Made a heritage
- Paul’s prays 3 things (Eph. 1:14-23)
- Know the hope of His calling
- Know our inheritance
- Know his power
- Eph 1:23 (Acts 9:4)
- The church is His body
- Christ fills His church with Himself
- His authority is in everyplace in every way.
- The church is for Him
Purchase the book or the Kindle edition
Continuing our series through Ephesians, [June 24, 2012] we heard a message from Ephesians 1:19-23 entitled “Paul Prays: Petition of Power & Security“.
- Power (Eph. 1:19)
- surpassing – it exceeds all bounds. Limitless
- the basis of the power is God’s might
- it is for us who are in Christ
- this was first manifested in our regeneration (Eph. 2:4-5)
- it sustains us (2 Cor. 12:9 | Titus 2:14 | Rom 6:4, 14 | Phil. 3:10)
- this power will raise up our mortal bodies (1 Cor. 6:14)
- Security (Eph. 1:20-23)
- This same power raised Christ to the right hand of God [the ascension].
Christ has all authority (Ps. 2:7-8 | Rev. 3:21 | 1 Pet. 3:22 | Ps. 8:6 |Matt. 28:18)
- this is for the benefit of God’s church
- Privilege (next week…)
Q. 70: What is justification?
A: It is God regarding sinners as if they had never sinned.
Hymn: “Rock of Ages”
Continuing our series through Ephesians, [June 17, 2012] we heard a message from Ephesians 1:18 entitled “Paul Prays: Know Your Future Salvific Blessings“.
- Praying that the eyes of our hearts be enlightened(Eph. 1:18)
- The heart is the seat of out emotions, will, and intellect
- There is one sense in which our eyes are already open (2 Cor. 4:4- 6)
- It means to growing grace (Col. 3:10 | 2 Pet. 3:18)
- The two petitions:
- To know our hope(Eph. 1:18)
- This is God’s internal/effectual call (1 Thes. 2:12 | 1 Cor. 1:9 | 1 Tim. 6:12 | Rom. 8:30 | John 6:37)
- Hope in the Bible is a steadfast assurance that is an anchor for the soul (Rom. 8:24-26; 5:2 | Titus 1:2, 3:7 | Gal. 5:5)
- We should live our lives with a future (eternal) perspective
- We can get through any trial with true hope (2 Pet. 3:7)
- To know our riches(Col 1:12 | 1 Pet. 1:3-4 | Matt. 6:19-20)
- What will out inheritance consist of?
- We are co-heirs with Christ (Rom. 8:17 | Matt. 5:5)
- We will inherit God Himself (Rom. 8:17)
- We will have unending pleasure and joy (Ps. 16:11; 43:4 | Matt. 25:21, 23)
- We will have a glorified resurrected body (1 Cor. 15:35-49)
- We will have the ultimate joy in fulfilling the reason we were created… to worship God!
Q. 69: Why did Jesus Die?
A: Jesus died on the cross, in our place, to take the punishment which we deserve.
Hymn: “Abide with Me”
The book that Pastor Jay suggested during last week’s sermon may be purchased here (or on Kindle).
Our Glorious Resurrection Bodies [1 Cor. 15:42-44]
Continuing our series through Ephesians, [June 10, 2012] we heard a message from Ephesians 1:15-17 entitled “Paul Prays: The Why, How, Who & What of Prayer“.
4 Aspects of Paul’s Prayer for Enlightenment:
- The WHY of prayer(Eph. 1:15)
- Paul’s prayer is encouraged by all the spiritual blessing we have in Christ (Eph. 1:3-14)
- Paul’s prayer is also due to the report of the spiritual graces they had:
- Their faith in Jesus
- It is a grace (Phil. 1:29 | 1 John 5:1)
- It is not dead but dynamic (Acts 19:18-20 | James 2:17)
- Their love for all the saints
- An evidence of regeneration (1 John 4:7-8 | Rom. 13:8-10)
- The HOW of prayer(Eph. 1:16)
- Giving thanks
- It is a characteristic of the unrighteous to not give thanks (Rom. 1:21 | 2 Tim. 3:2)
- The WHO of prayer(Eph. 1:17)
- Prayer is to the Father through the Son (John 16:23)
- God the Spirit is the Spirit of wisdom and revelation (Is. 11:2 | Luke 2:52)
- Through prayer we can have deeper knowledge of God
- The Christians greatest need is to know God (Phil 3:10 | John 17:3)
- The WHAT of prayer
- J.I. Packer’s 3 Aspects of knowing God from his book “Knowing God“:
Knowing God is a matter of:
- “Personal dealing…
It is a matter of dealing with Him as He opens up to you, and being dealt with by Him as He takes knowledge of you.”
- “Personal involvement,
in mind, will and feeling… The believer rejoices when God is honoured and vindicated, and feels the acutest distress when he sees God flouted… Equally, the Christian feels shame and grief when convicted of having failed his Lord.”
It is a relationship in which the initiative throughout is with God – as it must be, since God is so completely above us and we have so completely forfeited all claim on his favour by our sins. What matters supremely … is not … the fact that I know God, but the larger fact which underlies it – the fact that he knows me. “
The book that Pastor Jay suggested during the sermon may be purchased here (or on Kindle).
Continuing our series through Ephesians, [June 3, 2012] we heard a message from Ephesians 1:11-14 entitled “Trinitarian Salvation: The Spirit – Sealing“.
- The spiritual blessing that we are made a heritage to the Lord (Eph. 1:11)
- see ASB/RSV version
- Israel was a heritage (Deut. 4:20, 32:9)
- We are now a people of God (Eph. 2:10)
- We were predestined to he His heritage
- This was according to His own sovereign will in eternity past (Eph. 1:5 | Rom. 8:28 | 2 Tim. 1:9)
- He ordains all things (Dan. 4:34-35)
- The purpose of predestination is to bring glory to Him (Eph. 1:12)
- The blessing of the seal of the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:13-14)
- The gospel is first preached then we believe and are sealed by the Holy Spirit (Rom. 10:13-14)
- The seal provides security/protection
- The seal shows ownership (2 Cor. 1:21-22)
- The seal provides authenticity (1 John 3:24 | Rom. 8:16)
- The sealing is the Spirit Himself who is the promise (Joel 2:28 | Gal. 3:13-14 | John 14:26)
- The Spirit is Holy and id the agent by which the Christian is progressively made Holy (2 Cor. 3:18)
- The Spirit is a pledge of our inheritance (Eph. 1:14, 4:30)
- Application :
- We need to take God at his word
- What can I now do, Lord? (Col. 3:1-3)
- By God’s grace, walk in holiness (2 Cor. 7:1 | Jer. 32:40)
- These should always cause us to give glory and praise to God (Eph. 1:6, 12, 14 | 1 Cor. 10:31)